Dirty data often presents complex challenges in litigation cases. The transformation to a digital and cloud-based world is significantly impacting the accuracy and volume of data, as well as the way it is captured and stored. It is also contributing to an increase in “dirty data.”
- Dirty data can result from any of the following scenarios:
- Intentional fraudulent activities;
- Poor data security;
- Unintentional data entry errors;
- Erroneous reporting;
- Software errors;Transfer of data over periods of time between storage locations or to various software; or
- Poor information systems management.
Cloud-based information systems are becoming more complex and are often widely dispersed to end users, increasing the likelihood of both intentional and unintentional dirty data. Using contract vendors for some routine processes may also increase the likelihood of errors that lead to dirty data.