What are some of the department’s most satisfying successes of the past year and why? Our team has been firing on all fronts across the spectrum of IP disputes and jurisdictions from coast to coast. Some of our recent successes include:
• A favorable settlement for Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) in multidistrict litigation over patents for JLR’s award-winning terrain technology
• An International Trade Commission win achieving a limited exclusion order and a bond for 100% of our damages on behalf of our client Overhead Door and the Genie Company regarding wireless garage door opener technology
• A complete jury trial victory on behalf of Irving Consumer Products, a leading manufacturer of premium quality tissue products, over toilet paper patents
• A multi-million dollar trial victory for Philip Morris International against RJ Reynolds in the parties’ global war over vaping patents
• A favorable settlement for Merck against a big pharma direct competitor in a patent and trade secrets dispute spanning multiple jurisdictions related to its novel vaccine Vaxneuvance, which protects against pneumonia and meningitis, among other illnesses
• A rare summary judgment of non-infringement ruling for Alpha Consolidated Holding and Illinois Tool Works (ITW) a week before a jury trial was set to begin over capless fuel system bottle design patents
We’ve also expanded our team with the additions of Tony Sammi, a first chair trial lawyer who now serves as Global Vice Chair of the IP Litigation Practice and Global Vice Chair of the Technology Industry Group, as well as skilled IP litigator Rachel Blitzer.