Aligning interests to achieve mutually beneficial relationships is a key aspiration for law departments and outside counsel alike.
In this episode of the UpLevel View podcast, legal operations expert Elizabeth Lugones of UpLevel Ops is joined by Yusuf Mohamed, partner and member of the General Counsel practice at Taylor English Duma LLP.
Yusuf shares strategies beyond traditional cost analysis and performance monitoring, emphasizing the importance of viewing outside counsel as strategic partners rather than service providers.
The discussion includes:
- The challenges of managing legal practices as the organization grows, especially in implementing consistent engagement with outside counsel.
- The importance of in-house teams being proactive and setting clear expectations for law firms.
- Contrasting the communication methodologies between law firms and in-house departments, noting the differences in audiences and workflow.
- The future potential of more sophisticated AI tools to analyze legal data and envision possible legal risk scenarios.
- Why clients should be hesitant about trying different pricing models, with the understanding that they can revert to old methods if unsatisfied.
- Transparency, conversation, and alignment of interests for achieving mutual benefits.